Clubs in attendance: ALEX, ASC, BRYC, BRDW, CHAN, CULP, FCSC, FRED, FSCI, FRSA, GRFL, GSC, HERN, LFC, LOUD, MCLN, MONU, ODFC, PAC, REST, SYC, STAF, STER, TAFC, TASC, VIST, VBSC, VYS, VSA, WRTN, WIN
Clubs not present: ABGC, ARL, BAC, CYA, CCS, CUGI, DCST, EPIC, FPYC, ROCK, FASA, LMVS, NVSC, PWSI, SYA, WSC
Officers in attendance: Wayne Gardella (Vice President), Lisa Wilson (Registrar), Tom Lewis (Girls Commissioner), Karen Klumpp (Secretary), Dave Milne (Administrator)
Meeting called to order at 7:30.
Minutes from the last board meeting (02 May 2010) were presented. A motion was made to approve the minutes. Motion was seconded and minutes were approved.
- The new YouthLeagues database is now up and running. If your club has not yet completed their club registration, please encourage them to do so. This must be done before a team can register.
- Deadlines: Teams in tournaments 8/7 or 8/15 – rosters due 7/31. Teams in tournament 8/21, 8/28, or Labor Day – rosters due 8/14. All other rosters due no later than 9/1. This is to the registrar, not to the club reps.
- ABGC and PAC will now go to Carol Coulter for roster approval. Chantilly and Chantilly Youth will be getting a new registrar, but that person has not been selected yet.
- Player passes and envelopes, and Sports Authority discount cards are available at the meeting.
- New feature in the 2010-11 database: Teams will be able to print pictures directly on the player passes, if they choose to do so. This will not be out until mid-July.
- Any team which goes to a non-USYSA sanctioned event, and the team does not have US Club Soccer passes, then they may not use their US Youth roster or passes. There is a “non-generic” player pass that the state office has available. They will be able to print these out of the system. IF a team is caught using their US Youth roster or passes at a non-sanctioned event, then there will be repercussions from US Youth Soccer. This is due to a major law suit (5 states involved). The sanctioning form (“Permission to Host”) for a tournament states how the tournament is sanctioned. Most tournaments have this posted clearly on their tournament websites.
- There is nothing wrong with a team being carded by both US Club Soccer and US Youth Soccer. These entities are 2 of the 3 organizations sanctioned by USSF for youth play.
- Registration training will be 7/10. The session from 12-3 will be aimed at new team managers. If they bring a laptop, they can enter the practice database. The session from 3-5 will be for the returning managers. The attendees will leave with the Registration Reference Guide and the Registration Manual. Lisa will not leave until all questions have been answered.
- It seemed that there were more reports about coaches getting on referees than before. Please ask the coaches not to get into confrontations with the referees.
- A club rep/referee asked: How far does a situation go before a coach is told his/her services are no longer needed? The conduct committee will track how often a coach is sited in a report for misbehavior. Additional suspensions may be added on if there is a history of misbehavior. Wayne works closely with the club reps, asking if they will handle additional sanctions internally. The clubs have handled these situations phenomenally. Referees get trained on the rules of the game, but not on the flow of the game. Many clubs will have new referees (just certified that season) on travel games. This does set the referee up for failure. Unfortunately, sometimes the referee assignors are strapped and have trouble getting referees to the game.
- It was asked that Dave reiterate the meaning of the scoring for sportsmanship. Every team should get a 0 when they show up. Behavior from that point on is what should determine if a team gets a higher or lower score.
- Please have the teams place their justification for division structure in the comment field on the application. As club rep, please support or not support that information in an email to the Commissioner.
- If a team has been relegated from one of the other leagues, the division placement is a bit more complicated. Two things that they look at: Were they in ODSL at some prior time? What division were they in when they went to the other league? If the bottom division is all the relegated teams, then a new team would not be placed with the relegated teams.
- Sportsmanship: The deadline to for a team to submit their vote is 6/30. There are about 30% of the teams that have NOT yet submitted their vote. They must vote in order to win! A list was handed out tonight of all the teams that have not yet voted. Please encourage the teams to do so. This voting is done online. For each team that wins, the coach gets a nice trophy, and the players get a nice medallion with a stand. If it is the second or more time of winning, the players each get a plaque.
- Each Club Representative must vet the teams which are applying from their club. It is very important that we make sure that they’ve applied to your club, do have enough players of reasonable quality to make up a roster, and are prepared to play. Be sure your club has a process in place. It is very disruptive to the division if a team is not prepared to play.
- Make sure that your club information on the club page has been updated. You need at least a phone number and an email address for each position.
- Once you login, you can go to Team Administration and see the teams that have played in your club.
- Teams interested in 6v6: If they apply and the division does not form, then they will be refunded the full amount. Come the spring, WAGS is interested in helping support the 6v6 and putting the information out to their teams.
- The Field Loading information is due 7/17. There is a form online for your field assignor to complete.
- Randy Martin’s term as President has ended. Due to burdens at work, he is unable to run again as President. The Board is actively seeking any nominations. If a club representative or club president may be interested, please let Wayne or Dave know.
- The league is still looking at the possibility of a winter league. The initial thought was to use the older teams in such a league. There were some suggestions to use U11/U12.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:55pm.