ODSL Club Representative Quarterly Meeting
Clubs in attendance: ARL, ASC, BRYC, BRDW, BAC, CHAN, CYA, CUGI, CULP, FRED, FASA, FRSA, GRFL, GSC, HERN, LMVS, LFC, LOUD, NVSC, PAC, REST, SYC, STAF, VBSC, VIST, VYS, VSA, WRTN, WIN
Clubs not present: ALEX, ABGC, CCS, DCST, EPIC, FPYC, FCSC, ROCK, MCLN, MONU, OSC, ODFC, PWSI, SHEN, SYA, STER, TAFC, TASC, WSC
Officers in attendance: , Lisa Wilson (Registrar), Tom Lewis (Girls Commissioner), Karen Klumpp (Secretary), Paul O’Connell (Treasurer/VYSA Representative), Dave Milne (Administrator)
Meeting called to order at 7:30pm
Reviewed minutes from last board meeting (15 Jan 2009). Two items were discussed as a result of that review:
· Discussed the issue of WAGS and teams playing 6v6. The question was asked if the Board had considered allowing for a coed division, rather than girls and boys, which would allow more teams in the division. At this point in time, that has not been discussed.
· Discussed the possibilities of penalties for clubs that allow play to continue with unsecured goals.
Motion made to approve the minutes. Minutes approved.
President (presented by Dave Milne for Randy):
· Randy Rawls award winners were handed out. ODSL night will be one of two nights in which DC United has a double header with the Freedom.
· The voting process will become electronic in the near future. This will hopefully increase the participation of the teams. Should be up before the end of this season.
· Paul reiterated that everyone should please feel free to email him and ask any questions after you have had time to review the accountant’s report
· Be sure to include the fee submission form when sending in your registration payment. Paul discussed the form and the differences between new and old teams.
· Inquiry was made as to whether or not this form could be done on-line.
· You may void an application up to the application deadline. After that, a $75 fee is due to the league.
· Player passes and envelopes available in the back of the room.
· Requested assistance – if teams are disbanding, the roster and passes MUST be turned into the registrar. DO NOT give it to the player. The player is still assigned to that team until they have been officially released.
· There is a 5 day rule for players requesting released --- once that signed release form is provided to the team, they only have 5 days to get it to the registrar. NO ONE may over ride that rule. If a team does not abide by that rule, the team may be placed in bad standing and not be permitted to play in league play, tournaments, etc.
· If a team is disbanded, the deadline of being released prior to the start of league play does not play.
Girls Commissioner: Nothing to report.
· Adjudication Committee: If you are interested in helping on this committee, please contact Dave.
· Competition Committee: Headed by boys and girls commissioners. If you know of anyone that would like to assist on the competition committee, please contact the commissioners. Help decide what to do with teams that are coming back from another league – review old and current standings. Try to give the best competition as possible to each age group. Divisions are announced around the third week of February.
VYSA State Representative:
· VYSA workshop was held last week in Crystal City. Dave Milne announced as Administrator of Year!!
· New competition is being run by US Youth Soccer – President’s Cup. For teams that normally wouldn’t be playing in State Cup Competition. Second tier competition. They would like to have the competition for the first time this year. How to select the teams is still under consideration. The teams will be U14 and above.
· Idea floated for another level of competition in the state. Plenty of competition at every level. Idea is for a state-wide league. Whether this would this be in lieu of or in addition to current league competition has not been decided.
Old Business: None
New Business: NVSC would like to get a waiver for U10B and U12B as they have been approached by OSC. These OSC teams, however, have apparently moved to VIST. What the board looks at when these waivers are requested are referee and field resources. If there is more than adequate field space and the referee assignor has no problem getting the games covered, then the waiver for the third team is normally approved. This waiver was denied, as the teams will not be going to NVSC, even though they had not informed NVSC of this status.
It was proposed that ODSL look at an “Interplay zone” – kids come together and train together. Find areas where we have concentration of kids; work on the skills and help them progress to the next level. Start with 9 year old kids, move their skills the next year to 10 year olds skills, by 12, they are able to train on their own. It was stated this could be the ODSL version of a “soccer stimulus” package.
Questions were raised about the CYA game that resulted in a forfeit. They would like to appeal the decision. Clubs were reminded that all teams must send any complaints to the board through their club rep.
It was proposed that we increase the amount of money donations to Top Soccer programs to $500. Motion was made. All approved.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:08pm.