ODSL Monthly Meeting Minutes
January 16, 2003
Brought to Order - 7:30 pm/Adjourned - 9:25 pm
ODSL Board Members In Attendance:
President - Gary Brindle
Vice President - Lou Von Kahle
Secretary - Debbie Cervantes
Treasurer - Cheryl Brindle
Registrar - Lisa Wilson
Girls Commissioner - Bob Gray
Boys Commissioner - John Findlay
ODSL Club Representatives In Attendance:
AGBC, ARL, BAC, CHAN, CYA, DCST, FPYC, FRSA, HERN, LRSC, MATT, PWSI, REST, SSA, SWYA, VIST, VSA, WIN
Dave Milne, Administrator
Minutes of Prior Meeting:
- Minutes from 11 November 2002 were read and approved per change below:
o In Administrator section, Games unable to be resolved, Girls U13 - SYWA DID show to this game. It was FCSC that did NOT show. Minutes have been revised to reflect this change.
- 4,144 players have been rostered (1,722 Boys/2,422 Girls).
- All trophy expenditures for Fall 02 (including Sportsmanship) have been paid.
- All referees have been paid.
- Working with Demosphere on new website.
- Approximately 90 teams have already registered for the Spring 03 season.
o Reminder that Registrations need to be accompanied by the voucher and a check to be completely registered.
- Demonstration of the new ODSL website for Club Reps.
o www.odsl.org/clubrep/ <http://www.odsl.org/clubrep/>
o Username - First 4 letters of Club.
o Password - Same as last season.
If you dont have/forgotten your Club Username/Password, please contact ODSL Administrator.
o Need to review all submitted Club applications.
o Club Rep can see/change all teams under his/her Club.
o Club Reps can enter Club Field Info.
o Ensure ALL email contacts are correct. Email is the main form of communication for ODSL.
- Nothing to report.
- Questions regarding the website and final Team Standings. Standings determined by tie-breakers havent been reflected correctly on the website.
o Per ODSL Administrator, this has been corrected with the new website.
- Trophies are not being picked up by some Age Group Coordinators in a timely matter.
o ODSL Administrator is looking into alternative methods for trophy pick up.
- Same issue with the pick up of Trophys by the Age Group Coordinators.
- Club Reps are to remind their teams if they are disbanding they need to forfeit all cards.
- Inactive teams need to show proof they are just playing Tournaments.
- Rules on transferring between ODSL/NCSL/WAGS are being worked on.
- RosterPro is working okay. Any changes will be identified at the VYSA workshop. (At this time, no changes appear to be coming.)
- Deadlines for individual teams adds/drops/etc are determined per your teams Registrar. Please check with your Registrar for dates/times.
- Lisa will be resigning from the ODSL Head Registrar position to accept a Registrar position with VYSA.
o Looking for a new ODSL Head Registrar.
o Still looking for an ODSL Registrar for the Vienna/McLean/Reston area.
- 13 games were not played during the Fall 02 season. 4 of these would have had an impact on the final standings.
- Application of new Clubs from Shenandoah, Ashburn, and Warrenton.
Home fields would be at Woodstock
1 or 2 teams coming into ODSL.
MOTION WAS MADE AND APPROVED TO ADD SHENANDOAH AS A CLUB TO ODSL.
Home fields are determined by Loudoun County. Aiming for Eagle Ridge Middle School/Mill Run Elementary, Hillside Elementary, National Conference Center.
7 teams (2 Boys/5 Girls) coming into ODSL.
MOTION WAS MADE AND APPROVED TO RE-INSTATE ASHBURN AS A CLUB TO ODSL.
No representation at this meeting.
Decision was made to table Warrenton entering ODSL until further contact has been made.
- Competition Committee (Process for team Placement)
o All registered teams need to be in place first each season.
o General Rule of Thumb: All New Teams and Teams transferring from another League (WAGS/NCSL) are assigned to the lower Division.
- Sportsmanship Awards
o More ballots received than previous season.
o Some teams would have won, but did not vote.
o Penalty points are subtracted.
Some teams have negative Sportsmanship points.
Need to consider a new policy for teams having negative Sportsmanship points.
o Consider alternative incentives besides trophies?
FIFA Fair Play
DC United/Freedom tickets
ODSL Administrator will send all Club Reps an email for the Freedom Point-of-Contact for those Clubs wishing to request the Freedoms participation in ODSL.
- VYSA Semi-Annual Meeting
o ODSL President encourages all Club Reps to attend.
o ODSL President asking for Proxys for those Club Reps unable to attend.
o If you have any questions for the VYSA meeting, please forward to the ODSL President.
- Board Vacancies
o ODSL Registrar for Spring 2003
o ODSL Treasurer for Fall 2003
- ODSL Spring Coaches Meeting
o ODSL is NOT mandating that Returning teams attend. Teams are to find out from their Club Rep whether or not attendance is required by their Club.
If a Club determines Returning teams do not need to attend, it will be up to the Club Rep to attend and pick up all materials for their teams.
Teams need to coordinate with their Club Rep to arrange pick up of the Coaches Book.
o New Teams, all ODSL Club Reps, all Age Group Coordinators, and any new Team Personnel ARE required to attend
o ODSL Administrator will send an email to those teams who will be presented the Sportsmanship Awards.
- Player Development
o Send ODSL President an email for all ideas/suggestions.
- Field Development
o Inform ODSL President of any/all field becoming available.
- Chantilly requesting a waiver for an additional U13 Girls Team.
o SWYA Wildthings transferring to Chantilly
o MOTION WAS MADE AND APPROVED TO GIVE A WAIVER TO CHANTILLY FOR AN ADDITIONAL U13 GIRLS TEAM.
- LRSC requesting a waiver for an additional U16 Girls Team.
o New Team
o MOTION WAS MADE AND APPROVED TO GIVE A WAIVER TO LRSC FOR AN ADDITIONAL U16 GIRLS TEAM.
- DC Stoddard requesting to play home games.
o (Permission to Travel not needed.)
o 4 fieldS in NW DC.
Parks with adequate parking.
o MOTION WAS MADE AND APPROVED TO GIVE HOME GAMES/FIELDS TO DC STODDARD.
- Spring U9s (8v8) going into Fall U10s:
o May need to go 7v7 in the Fall.
o Questions have been raised to VYSA. Waiting for answers.
o Roster limitations will be under review.
o Review new U9 rosters in the Fall.
- Club Reps are encouraged to look through the ODSL By-Laws.
o Bring all questions and requests for changes to the open April ODSL Board Meeting.
- Brought to the Boards attention that Fairfax County is adapting a new policy on Field usage by Sport.
o Soccer has been deemed to be a second tier sport.
o ODSL President will look into the matter.
Next Monthly Scheduled Board Meeting:
February 13, 2003 at 7:30 pm